Does it mean that I have an eidetic memory?

Eidetic memory (/aɪˈdɛtɪk/; sometimes called photographic memory) is an ability to vividly recall images from memory after only a few instances of exposure, with high precision for a brief time after exposure, without using a mnemonic device. [via Wikipedia]

I started to only notice this about 2 years ago but I just kinda ignored it. Before that, I thought that everyone thinks the same way with me about their past memories.

So, when I think of a memory in my past, I can picture myself being "teleported" to that particular moment.

Like, on my mind's eye, I can see where the door is, the chairs are, and where I am, in relation to where my body is. It actually feels like I'm a character in a first-person shooter game. So, most of my memories are pegged with this "ability".

For example, when I think of a movie I watched on DVD for example, it's not difficult for me to ascertain "where I was" when I saw it; of course, I can also picture out what I was seeing like if it's via TV, theater, laptop, etc.

When I see these "flashes of memory videos" in my head, it's not conscious. So, if I would pinpoint a moment in a memory eventhough I am not thinking about where I was, or where my body was at that particular moment, I can easily tap and access that "packet of information" in my head.

For example, when I took the MENSA test (I did not qualify) last year, I can picture out instantaneously where I was sitting, how large the room is, where some people are sitting, about how many people are there. Something like that.

Another example, when I was in Kyoto, I know where I was seated on the bus. Like all of those buses. Or when I think of a random memory like a hotel room I've stayed at years back, I know what the room arrangement is. If that piece of memory is notable, then I get to picture it more vividly. If it's just a random memory, I just have blurry "mental image" but, still I can "feel" the objects around me in my mind's eye.

I feel that I do have it although, I guess I need to undergo like an brain scan of some sort to really know if my visual/spatial abilities are above normal.

Now, I am just curious if anyone of you who happens to read this has, or knows someone who might have the same ability as I have.

Comments